Bronchoscopy is an endoscopic technique which helps doctor to examine airways for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. This test is mainly used to detect foreign bodies, bleeding, tumors and inflammation inside the lungs. Bronchoscopy is the most common invasive procedure in the study and care of lungs. Generally this is a day care procedure.
Pulmonologist inserts an instrument called a bronchoscope through nose or mouth and down the throat to reach lungs. The bronchoscope is made of a flexible fiber-optic material. It has a light source and a camera on the end. Most bronchoscopes are compatible with color video which helps doctor to record abnormalities in the lungs.
Doctors generally perform Bronchoscopy if X-rays or CT scan shows presence of tumor, infections and other lung abnormalities. Bronchoscopy is very useful to treat diseases like Lung Cancer, Bronchial Cancer, Interstitial Lung Diseases (ILD), Tuberculosis (TB) and other respiratory diseases.
Purposes of Bronchoscopy:
Doctor performs Bronchoscopy for various purposes such as:
- To see abnormalities of the airways.
- To obtain samples of an abnormality or specimens in undiagnosed infections.
- To obtain tissue specimens of the lung in a variety of disorders.
- To evaluate a person who has bleeding in the lungs, possible lung cancer, a chronic cough or a collapsed lung.
- To remove foreign objects lodged in the airway.
- To open the spaces of a blocked airway.
- To treat asthma and emphysema.
- To treat post-operative air leaks in the lung.
Preparation for Bronchoscopy:
- A local anesthetic applies spray on the nose and throat during a bronchoscopy. Generally sedative is given to relax the patient, so that patient is awake but drowsy during procedures. Oxygen is provided during bronchoscopy.
- Doctors ask patient to avoid eating or drinking anything for 6 to 8 hours before the process. Doctor also ask to stop medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen and others.
- Doctor inserts Bronchoscope through the nose or mouth. It passes down to the throat and finally reaches bronchi. The bronchi are the airways in lungs.
- Needles are attached to the bronchoscope to collect tissue samples from lungs. These samples are tested to confirm lung diseases.
- Doctor also performs bronchial washing process to collect cells. As per the test reports doctors finds exact cause of lung problems such as blood, swelling, infection, tumor or blockages.
- If airways are blocked then stent is used to keep airways open. Stent is a small tube which is placed into bronchi with the bronchoscope. After finishing the bronchoscopy, doctors remove the bronchoscope.
Types of imaging used in Bronchoscopy:
- Today many advanced imaging techniques are used to get more clear and detailed pictures of the lungs.
- During virtual bronchoscopy, doctor uses CT scan to see airways in detail.
- During endobronchial ultrasound, doctors uses ultrasound probe attached to bronchoscope to view airways.
- During fluorescence bronchoscopy, doctor uses fluorescent light attached to bronchoscope to see inside view of lungs.
Bronchoscopy is the safest technique for most of the people. It is the most advanced method to detect exact causes and level of infection in the lungs.
We have well equipped lab to perform Bronchoscopy. Our Pulmonologist has done more than 10000 Bronchoscopy over 23 year. We have a skillful as well as highly experienced Pulmonologist to perform various modern tests such as Lung Biopsy (TBLB), Bronchial, Washing, Brush Biopsy and Lesser through Bronchoscopy.
BronchoScopy | Lung cancer detection | Lung cancer treatment | Lung cancer | Lung cancer symptoms | Endoscopy | Lung cancer diagnosis | Bronchoscopy test | Lung cancer stages | Tuberculosis detection | Lung cancer prevention | lung cancer treatment clinic| best treatment for lung cancer | Lung cancer test and procedures| Lung biopsy | Lung cancer specialist | Lung cancer center | Lung cancer therapy |ILD | Interstitial lung disease | ILD treatment | Lung diseases treatment | Windpipe and air passages examination | lung biopsy | TBLB | brush biopsy | lesser bronchoscope | Endoscope | Bronchoscope | lung diseases treatment | Lung diseases treatment | lung cancer hospital | lung diseases hospital | best endoscopic doctor | endoscopic specialist |
In thane | thane | Bhiwandi | Kalwa | Mulund